- B.A., California, Berkeley 1990
- M.A., California, Davis 1993
- Ph.D., California, Davis 1999
Professor Anne Nurse’s new book, Confronting Child Sexual Abuse: Knowledge to Action, describes current research on victims and offenders, while also providing an in-depth look at prevention efforts. She has synthesized studies spanning the fields of psychology, sociology, communications, criminology, and political science to produce a nuanced, accessible, and up-to-date account. Topics include the prevalence of abuse, the impact of abuse on victims and families, offender characteristics, abuse in institutions, and the efficacy of treatments. Written for people who care for kids, for students considering careers in criminal justice or human services, and for anyone seeking information about this devastating issue, Nurse’s book offers new public policy ideas as well as practical suggestions on how to engage in prevention work. Interactive links to studies, videos, and podcasts connect readers to further resources. The book is open source, so it is free to all readers.
Professor Nurse’s prior work focused on juvenile prison and reentry, authoring Fatherhood Arrested: Parenting from Within the Juvenile Justice System (Vanderbilt Press, 2002) and Locked Up, Locked Out: Young Men in the Juvenile Justice System (Vanderbilt Press 2010). She is also an author (along with colleagues Heather Fitz Gibbon and Chuck Hurst) of the popular textbook Social Inequality: Forms, Causes, and Consequences (10th edition, Taylor and Francis, 2019). She teaches Introduction to Sociology, Criminology and Deviance (the “prison class”), and Social Statistics.
- SOCI 100: Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI 342: Social Statistics
- SOAN 240: Research Methods
- SOCI 213: Deviance and Criminology
- First-Year Seminar
- 2020 Confronting Child Sexual Abuse: Knowledge to Action. Amherst, MA: Lever Press.
- 2019 (with Trish Staiger). Teaching Data Reproducibility through Service Learning. Teaching Sociology, 45(4), 350-357.
- 2018. Coaches and child sexual abuse prevention training: Impact on knowledge, confidence, and behavior. Children and Youth Services Review, 88, 395-400.
- 2017. (with Jub Sankofa, Laura Abrams, Michelle Inderbitzen, Jaime Fader, and Alexandra Cox). Juvenile Corrections in the Era of Reform: A Meta-synthesis of Qualitative Studies. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology 62(7), 1763-1786.
- 2017. Construction of the Offender in Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Training for Adults. Journal of Criminal Justice Education.
- 2017. Knowledge and Behavioral Impact of Adult Participation in Child Sexual Abuse Prevention: Evaluation of the Protecting God’s Children Program. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse.
- 2016. Social Inequality: Forms, Causes, and Consequences (9th Edition) (with Charles Hurst and Heather Fitz Gibbon). Routledge Press.
- 2014. Setting the Bar High: Danish Youth Education Counselors and National School-Completion Goals. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling. 2014.
- 2014. uvenile Justice in Slovakia. In Winterdyk, J. (Ed.). International Perspectives on Juvenile Justice Systems, Trends, and Practices. Taylor and Francis Press, Co-author Dagmar Kusa.
- 2013. Juveniles and College: Inside Outside as a Way Forward. The Prison Journal. 2013.
- Locked Up, Locked Out:Young Men in the Juvenile Justice System. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press.
- 2002. Fatherhood Arrested: Parenting from within the Juvenile Justice System. Nashville: Vanderbilt Press.
- American Sociological Association
- Editorial Board, Teaching Sociology 2007-2010
- George Gund Foundation Research Grant
- National Science Foundation Research Grant
- Ford Foundation Research Grant
- United States Department of Justice Research Grant